Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Lament of a Believer in Exile

So I was at Barnes and Noble picking up a book I had on hold, when I came across the book "Jesus for the Non-Religious" by John Shelby Spong. Sounded interesting so I started reading the preface, and wasn't sure about it, then I came to the prologue, a poem by the author entitled The Lament of a Believer in Exile:

Ah, Jesus!
Where have you gone?
When did we lose you?
Was it when we became so certain that we possessed you
That we persecuted Jews,
Excommunicated doubters,
Burned Heretics,
And used violence and war to achieve conversion?
Was it when out first-century images
Collided with expanding knowledge?
Or when biblical scholars informed us that the Bible does
Not really support what we once believed?
Was it when we watched your followers distorting people
With guilt,
Fear,
Bigotry,
Intolerance,
And anger?
Was it when we noticed that many who called you Lord
And who read their Bibles regularly
Also practiced slavery,
Defended segregation,
Approved lynching,
Abused children,
Diminished women,
And hated homosexuals?
Was it when we finally realized
That the Jesus who promised abundant life
Could not be the source of self-hatred,
Or one who encourages us to grovel
In life-destroying penitence?
Was it when it dawned on us that serving you would require
The surrender of those security-building prejudices
That masquerade as our sweet sicknesses?

We still yearn for you, Jesus, but we no longer know where
To seek your presence.
Do we look for you in those churches that practice certainty?
Or are you hiding in those churches
That so fear controversy that they make "unity" a god,
And stand for so little that they die of boredom?
Can you ever be found in those churches that have
Rejected the powerless and the marginalized,
The lepers and the Samaritans of our day,
Those you called out brothers and sisters?
Or must we now look for you outside ecclesiastical setting,
Where love and kindness expect no reward,
Where question are viewed as the deepest
Expressions of trust?

Is it even possible, Jesus, that we Christians are the villains
Who killed you?
Smothering you underneath literal Bibles,
Dated creeds,
Irrelevant doctrines,
And dying structures?
If these things are the source of your disapearance, Jesus,
Will you then reemerge if these things are removed?
Will that bring resurrection?
Or were you, as some now suggest, never more
Than an illusion?
By burying and distorting you were we
Simply protecting ourselves
From having to face that realization?

I still seek to possess what I believe you are, Jesus:
Access to and embodiment of
The source of Love,
The ground of Being,
A doorway into the mystery of holiness.

It is through that doorway I desire to walk.
Will you meet me there?
Will you challenge me,
Guide me,
Confront me,
Reveal your truth to me and in me?

Finally, at the end of this journey, Jesus,
Will you embrace me
Inside the ultimate reality
That I call God
In whom I live
And move
And having my being?
For that, Jesus, is my goal in this book.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Heather said...

Ah....Spong.

He's an interesting one as far as heretics you're picking for your list. ;-)

He's part of a group of theologians (the Jesus Seminar) who have become obsessed with seeking out the "historical Jesus." And thus...have almost succeeded in divorcing Christ from any sort of deity.

He raises some interesting questions, but I like what the Archbishop of Canterbury had to say about how he had managed to make scripture almost devoid of any soul.

mwThatOne said...

what you say about "He's part of a become obsessed with seeking out the "historical Jesus." And thus...have almost succeeded in divorcing Christ from any sort of deity.

He raises some interesting questions, but I like what the Archbishop of Canterbury had to say about how he had managed to make scripture almost devoid of any soul.
=======

why do you like what the Arch of Cant said? nowhere do I see that the scripture is devoid of soul, nor that Spong has done anything to dilute any attachment to Deity. Is he not still the "son of God" ~ Jesus (so says the Bible, the legends, Spong, any 'believers') came to fulfill the old testament, to show that we are created in his image, can do many things he did via LOVE, not sowing separatism and condemnation and judgment, as many who believe only a literal (not researched) translation. I do hope that you will come to a more open mind and some enlightenment about all this, rather than believing like a robot, not thinking WWJD or what is the most loving thing to do or say? Sorry, Jesus means a lot to me, and to confine him to one denomination is disturbing.