Thursday, February 15, 2007

White Privledge

It's been a while since I posted anything of any substance. Actually one could make the argument that nothing I've posted has really had much substance :) Anyway, I've been trying to avoid posting about the mundane going-ons of my current life, which has left pretty much nothing for me to post about. Until just a little while ago.

The following was written as a response to a post by a Xanga friend, Reverend Jeremy who rocks the internet handle APuritainMindset. It might help to read it. I'll post the quote he started off with which lead to my thoughts, for his thoughts on the whole thing (which might give a greater context to my words) you'll have to read his post.

Were five people killed in Salt Lake City this week because of Islamofascism? Don’t count on Big Media to answer that question. Here is what we know as of now. According to witnesses, an 18-year-old gunman calmly walked into a Utah shopping mall and started randomly killing customers. Thankfully, an off-duty police officer was able to slow him down, and the assailant was eventually killed in a shoot-out with Salt Lake City police. Early press reports only gave his age, but no name. ABC reported the story last night, but repeatedly said little was known about the shooter. Today, several Utah papers are reporting that the killer’s name was Sulejmen Talovic, and he was a Bosnian Muslim refugee.

Don’t expect to hear much more. Big Media has no interest in pursuing these sorts of cases. When a Muslim man intentionally mows people down in San Francisco with his SUV, the headline is: “SUV Driver Kills Pedestrians.” When a Muslim assailant bursts into a Jewish community center in Seattle and brutally murdered a Jewish woman and wounded five more, he is described as “sick,” and the story vanishes. When an Iranian college student tried to turn a rented SUV into a weapon of mass destruction, the media reported, “9 Injured by SUV at UNC-Chapel Hill.” We deserve to know whether Sulejmen Talovic was another example of “Sudden Jihad Syndrome,” but don’t hold your breath waiting for the facts.

- Gary Bauer

The quoted text from Mr.Bauer wreaks of white privilege. I wonder if Mr.Bauer would be asking the same questions if it had been a white conservative that had gone on a killing spree. Or how about asking the same questions every time a crime is committed by any white man. After all, Timothy McVeigh was white and how many people did he kill in his terror attack? Or how about Gale Nettles, another white man who believed he was working with Al Qaeda (ended up being undercover feds) to blow up a federal building in Chicago last year. Although I've found many people outside of chicago don't even know who Gale Nettles is. Or what about Eric Rudolph, who is best known for his bombing of the Olympic Games in Atlanta who also bombed abortion clinics and gay and lesbian night clubs. He also professes to be a christian. So why aren't we worrying about white christians being terrorists? Or how about the "trench coat mafia", why not assume and worry about any white teenage male being a terrorist?

Its because those whites and christians are us. We know that not all white people are terrorist because we're not a terrorist. But as soon as someone outside of our group does some hideous evil we start thinking that persons a terrorist. Hello white privilege. Especially in the case of Gale Nettles. That case quickly disappeared from the public eye, he was given a fair trail and got the sentence he deserved. If Gale Nettles had been anything but white, he'd be spending God knows how long at Gitmo Bay as an Enemy Combatant without any due process. The system seems to work, as long as you look like the majority.


A Few Resources

Eric Rudolph
Atlanta Olympic bombing suspect arrested - one of the literally hundreds of cnn stories about him
Eric and the Islamists - an interesting excerpt from the book "Hunting Eric Rudolph" comparing the similarities between the "Christian Identity" (the group Rudolph belonged to) and "Islamic Fundamentalist". Can't say I agree with everything, I'm educated on the "Christian Identity" movement enough to say one way or another. Just an interesting read.

Gale Nettles
Chicago man arrested in alleged bomb plot - cnn story
"Criminal" White Terrorist in Chicago Vs. Non-White "Enemy Combatants" - Music For Americans: music and other social causes short blurb

Tim Wise a speaker/author on White Privilege
http://timwise.org/ - I've been reading his book called White Like Me, and excellent read, pick up a copy like right now.

I'm assuming nothing is needed for Timothy McVeigh or the "Trench Coat Mafia"

3 comments:

Rev. Donald Spitz said...

Eric Rudolph is not a terrorist, but an anti-terrorist fighter. Those who have killed babykilling abortionists have done so to protect the innocent. People use force everyday to protect the innocent and no one has a problem with it, except when it comes to protecting unborn human beings, then they go ballistic. It's very simple, the unborn deserve the same protection as the born. Born people are protected with force quite often. Force that you would be glad if it was to protect your children against a murderer. Force that you yourself might use to protect your own children from being murdered. The unborn deserve the same protection.
SAY THIS PRAYER: Dear Jesus, I am a sinner and am headed to eternal hell because of my sins. I believe you died on the cross to take away my sins and to take me to heaven. Jesus, I ask you now to come into my heart and take away my sins and give me eternal life.

Duby said...

Dear Reverend Don Spitz,I'm only going to address two things in your comment.

The first is the blatant disrespect you have shown me by assuming that since I don't agree with your definition of terrorism that I am bound to hell and need to say the sinners prayer and repent of my ways. I'll just leave the first point at that before I can no longer keep the reins on my tongue.

The second thing is my point that you have, I can only assume accidentally, fleshed out for the few readers of my blog. This man is familiar to me, I know people like him, I am like him, so he can't possibly be a terrorist, because then I could be a terrorist, or my wife or neighbor or kids or grandkids or ... could be a terrorist. I know thats simply not true, so I will find some logical way to make it not so in my head. Although many times the logic isn't really logical, and only rational in our own minds. In your case, Reverend Spitz, you have adopted a definition of terrorism that you would be hard pressed to find outside of your circle.

Since you choose not to mention Mr.McVeigh, Mr.Nettles, or the "Trench Coat Mafia", I think it is safe to assume that they fall under your definition of terrorist. I will even venture an educated guess and say that your thought process in regards to those men is the same as mine (and probably many other white people like myself) in regards to all of those mentioned. That is simply to say they are extremes, and they weren't really that much like me in the first place.

Duby said...

While I hope this is obvious, I'd like to clarify that this post is in no way meant to be a bash on Gary Bauer, nor condoning any sort of terrorist actions.